Healthcare Marketplace and Presumptive Medicaid
Great River Health Systems is a Champion of Coverage Organization and a Certified-application Counselor Organization by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. It also is a Presumptive Medicaid Organization*.
Do you need health insurance?
The Health Insurance Marketplace is a way to find health coverage that fits your budget and meets your needs. With one application, you can see all your options and enroll. Every insurance plan in the Marketplace offers essential health benefits, including:
- Physician visits
- Preventive care
You can compare plans based on price, benefits, quality and other features that are important to you. Health insurance companies can’t deny you coverage or charge you more because you have pre-existing health condition, and they can’t charge men and women different premiums.
When you use the Marketplace, you may get lower costs on your monthly premiums and out-of-pocket expenses. When you fill out your application, you will find out how much you can save. The Marketplace also provides help for signing up for Medicaid* or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), if you are eligible.
You must have health insurance coverage. If you:
- Don’t have coverage, you may have to pay a penalty
- Have health insurance through your employer, you can keep it
- Have Medicare, you’re already covered and don’t need to make any changes
The annual open enrollment period for applying for health insurance or making changes is Nov. 15 to Jan. 15. You will need this information to apply:
- Birth dates
- Pay stubs, W-2 forms or “Wage and Tax Statements”
- Policy numbers for any health insurance you or your family could get from your jobs
- Social Security numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants)
We can help you apply
Certified application counselors at Great River Health Systems are available by appointment to help Iowans enroll in health care coverage. Hours are:
- 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
- 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday
- 8 a.m. to noon Saturday
Please call 319-768-3625 or toll-free 877-404-4763.
*With basic information, financial counselors at Great River Health Systems can enroll patients and their families who are likely to be eligible for Medicaid immediately, without waiting for an eligibility determination from the state.
Apply on your own
To learn more about the Health Insurance Marketplace, apply, compare your plan options and enroll:
- Go to HealthCare.gov
- Call 800-318-2596 (TTY 855-889-4325)