January 24th, 2006Great River Medical Center’s Auxiliary membership drive is under way. The auxiliary supports the hospital in its mission to improve the region’s health by providing high-quality care, world-class customer service, and uncompromising value for patients and their families.
Today’s auxiliary is the combination of two hospital auxiliaries that began in the early 1900s. The Mercy Hospital Auxiliary and Burlington Hospital Aid Society became the Burlington Medical Center Auxiliary in 1975. The name changed again when Great River Medical Center opened in 2000.
Despite the name changes, the organization’s goals have remained constant:
• To encourage the community’s support and confidence in the hospital
• To provide financial support for hospital services
• To provide scholarships for students pursuing health-care careers
• To recruit volunteers that help patients, visitors and employees
Auxiliary members receive the auxiliary newsletter, The Bridge, and invitations to special events. They also are part of an effort to improve hospital services. With dues and fundraising, the auxiliary funded these projects in 2005:
• Acute Care Center—Waiting-area remodeling, $24,300
• Day Surgery—Artwork for patient bays, $8,050
• Day Surgery—Chairs for patient bays, $8,050
• Intensive Care Unit—Artwork for patient rooms, $2,400
• Klein Center’s Sapphire Wings Low-stimulus Unit—Keyboard and bench, $739
• Klein Center—Beauty shop remodeling, $700
• Psychiatric Care Unit—DVDs, $250
• Spiritual Care—End-of-life comfort cases, $900
• Stuffed Love Program—Stuffed animals for patients, $532
Membership dues are just $5 a year, or $100 for a lifetime membership. For more information, please call Great River Medical Center Director of Volunteer Services Staci Fry at (319) 768-3341.