May 22nd, 2006Great River Medical Center’s Auxiliary recently disbursed $49,149 at its annual meeting. Nine area students who are pursuing college degrees in health-related fields received a combined total of $10,000 in scholarships. The remainder was given to the hospital for projects to enhance patient care and employee services.
Scholarships were awarded for two different categories and amounts.
High school students—$1,000 scholarships:
• Amanda Azinger, Central Lee High School, nursing
• Mallory Gustison, Burlington High School, pharmacy
• Heidi Klein, Danville High School, pharmacy
• Elizabeth Minard, Burlington High School, radiologic technology
• Jacquelyn Spence, Yorkwood High School, biology
Nontraditional students—$1,250 scholarships:
• Adam Biggs, Drake University, pharmacy
• Kerry Crouch, Southeastern Community College, nursing
• Carrie Parker, SCC, nursing
• Kayla Scheitlin, Indian Hills Community College, physical therapy assistant
The $39,149 donated to the hospital will be used for:
• Corporate Education—Arterial/venous training arm
• Hospice house—Escrow account
• Kid Zone Child Care Center—Outdoor play equipment
• Spiritual Care—Spiritual Care television channel, holiday poinsettias
• Surgical Services—Furniture/bed pusher
• Transitional Care Unit—VCR/DVD players, DVDs, activity materials
• Volunteer Services—Computer software, Humor Cart materials
• Women and Family Center—Commercial high chairs ,VCR/DVD players
For more information about Great River Medical Center’s Auxiliary, please call Staci Fry, director of Volunteer Services, at (319) 768-3341.