February 22nd, 2008Great River Medical Center is offering a new educational program for parents and adolescents who want to strengthen family ties. Building Strong Families focuses on improving communication and conflict-resolution skills to build deeper, more meaningful relationships.
The multimedia approach of the program is designed to maintain the interest of all participants. Television and movie clips will be used to illustrate different types of families. Other activities include quizzes, dialogues, exercises and sharing with other families.
Building Strong Families will help parents and children ages 12 to 18:
• Define and achieve family goals
• Identify and build family strengths
• Learn how parenting styles affect youths’ behavior
• Learn how to communicate better with other family members
• Learn how to have a family conference
• Learn how to resolve conflicts constructively
• Understand the importance of family rituals
The six-week series is scheduled from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays beginning March 4 at Great River Mental Health Care Associates, Mercy Professional Building, 1225 S. Gear Ave., West Burlington. The cost is $150. For more information or to register, please call (319) 768-3700.