April 15th, 2010
Great River Health Systems recognizes its nearly 450 volunteers during National Volunteer Week, April 18 to 24. They help in 51 areas throughout the health system.
"This is the time to celebrate our volunteers," said Staci Fry, director, Volunteer Services. "Many wonderful and dedicated people call Great River Health Systems their volunteer home."
In 2009, volunteers gave approximately 41,000 hours of their time. According to the Independent Sector, a coalition of corporations, foundations and private voluntary organizations that works to strengthen America's nonprofit organizations, their contribution is worth nearly $850,000.
Volunteers can be found providing much-needed clerical support, escorting patients and visitors, providing a warm reception to patients in various departments, sharing a meal with elders at the Klein Center and offering compassionate hugs hospice patients and their families. A truly invaluable resource, volunteers are at the heart of the Great River Health Systems community.
In 2009, volunteers at Great River Health Systems:
- Assembled 16,544 folders for Health Information Management
- Assembled 5,290 inpatient folders
- Delivered approximately 2,300cards and other mail to patients
- Gave 11,419 hours and helped 55,467customers at the information desks in the main lobby and Mercy Plaza
- Gave 5,576 hours making caps and booties for newborns
- Helped process approximately 4,000 payroll deductions for the Gift Shop, book and jewelry fairs, and pharmacy purchases
Also, the Senior Health Insurance and Information Program helped 188 clients from October through December, saving them more than $50,000.