August 15th, 2013
Great River Friends’ Circle of Friends Annual Giving Campaign is underway. The money raised will support programs and projects at Great River Health Systems and provide scholarships for students pursuing careers in health care.
“Investing in health care helps patients, their families, caregivers and the community,” said Michele Dyer, campaign chair. “By joining one of Great River Friend’s giving circles, donors will help build a healthier future for the region.”
All gifts are tax deductible to the full extent provided by law.
Donations are being accepted in Great River Gift Shop in Great River Medical Center’s lobby and online at www.GreatRiverMedical.org/Volunteer/. To receive a form in the mail, please call 319-768-3340.
In April 2013, Great River Friends donated $53,621 to Great River Health Systems for 14 projects including:
· Equipment to identify hearing loss by Great River Audiology
· iPad® to allow Great River Hospice patients to watch special family events using Skype
· Laptop computers to provide diabetes education in the Acute Care Center
· Sleepwear that helps prevent sudden infant death syndrome for newborns in the Women and Family Center
· Wigs and lap quilts for Great River Cancer Center patients
In April and May 2013, Great River Friends provided $10,000 in scholarships to students pursuing health care careers. This year’s recipients were from Burlington, West Burlington, Mediapolis and West Point, Iowa, and Good Hope, Ill. They are studying pre-medicine, nursing, pharmacy, physician assistant and occupational therapy.
In the last year, 450 Great River Friends volunteers gave 45,000 hours of their time in areas throughout the health system.
Great River Friends also raised money through Great River Gift Shop, Cups & Cakes in the hospital lobby, book fairs, jewelry fairs and other special events.